March: A month of environmental awareness! (Kinda)

There's a major environmental "event" going down this month, mentioned in the Esurance commercials: Earth Hour. Earth Hour is being put on by the WWF (World Wildlife Fund). They as that on March 28, 2009, everyone turn off all the lights in their house for 1 hour, at 8:30 (they didn't say what time zone). It's pretty simple. WWF has an article on their website about Earth Hour. If you're not all that interested in reading about it, you can at least check out the video on there. Or search for "Earth Hour" on YouTube.
We had to do more than that when I was in elementary school. When we learned about colonization, and how people lived in the 16th century, we had to live for 1 weekend without any modern conveniences, except indoor plumbing. They couldn't very well ask the parents to buy Port-a-Johns, now! XD No TV, no radio, no lights, no heat/ac...they timed it well though. It was a weekend in late April, and it was warm, but not hot. We opened our windows, and it was relatively comfortable.
Whether you believe that Global Warming is being hastened by humans or not (There's no arguments that it is occuring, all scientists agree that the earth is warming up. The debate is if it's our fault or not.) you should still participate in Earth Hour. Honestly, if you can't do without lights for one hour, you're pretty pathetic. Less than 100 years ago, electricity was a luxury, not a right. How weak of a person are you going to be, huh? An hour isn't that long, and it's only about your lights. You can still have your TV on, if you're that dependant on it for stimulation that 1 little hour will turn your life upside down. (Gods help you if your power gets knocked out in a storm if that's how you are.) I plan on having everything off, or at least unplugged. I'll probably be on my laptop, but it'll be going on its own battery power instead of running on the AC adapter.
Mark your calanders, folks! Even if you're one of those people who says they don't care about the environment at all, you could still at least do Earth Hour. Don't do it for the planet, if you're against that. Do it because I think you're weak and can't do it! > :D Prove me wrong, I dare ya! ;P

Aside from that, I had thought there was something else going on this month. Martha Stuart had mentioned it on her show today. (I don't usually watch, but I was bored and there was nothing else on, since I don't have cable.) She said something about it being "Water Awareness Month", and that resturaunts in NY were going to charge $1 for tap water in order to fund a program to provide 3rd world countries with clean water. I thought that sounded great, but when I Google'd it, everything was saying "Water Awareness Month" is in May. I checked Martha's website, and the "Water Awareness Month" thing she talked about wasn't listed in her "topics" for today's show. So I don't really know what that was about...I suppose if there's any New Yorkers reading this, they could comment with some info? O.o
I guess when "Water Awareness Month" actually starts, I'll blog about it. XD

If you're among those really into environmental issues, recycling, carbon footprints, etc. you could be of great assistance to me! You see, my mom, a couple friends and I run a small business. It's called The Artisan's Corner. (Our website is a mess, so I won't link it at this time, but it'll be revamped this week!) We make costumes, accessories and souvenirs, mainly for Renaissance festivals. We do some cosplay stuff when it comes up though. One of our vendors makes earrings out of metal bottle caps from glass bottles. Mostly beer, since that's the most common thing packaged like that. But she'll use any metal bottle caps...except Snapple, because Snapple bottlecaps are HUGE and have very thick edges.
What does this have to do with you, you wonder? Well, if you leave me a comment with your email, saying that you're in to recycling and want to help, I will email you with a post office box. Send your bottle caps, be it beer, wine, soda, whatever; we'd love to use them! You don't have to wash them out, but please, don't ship them if there's moisture on them. Let them dry first. XD
And if you print off the email I send, you can get a 15% discount if you purchase something from our booth at a Ren Faire. I would offer it from the website, but at this time, we have no way to factor in discounts to our online purchases. :/ That unfortunately makes it difficult for people who are far out of our area, since we vend only locally due to current costs of travel and hotels...we can't afford to vend far away from home. Don't throw the emails away if you're not local though--If I can figure out how to allow discounts in online purchasing, you can use it then. (I know some of you might not know where I'm blogging from to know if you're "local" or not, but if you get the email from me, you'd know by the post office box address if you are.)

Do any of you who might be reading this have a cool project you do with recycled objects? I would love to hear about them if you do!
Ta-ta for now, readers~

No comments:

Post a Comment